What do I look for in a man recipe, you ask? Whenever I’m on the prowl for a new dish, I tend to judge candidates by the same criteria:
- Baggage: If the first thing I see is a list of 20 ingredients, half of which are things I’ve never heard of, I know that recipe is bringing waaaaaaaaaay too much baggage to this relationship and I cut the cord right away.
- Chemistry: Once I find a recipe that won’t fill up my cart slash empty my wallet on the first date, I look for both balance and spark: Does it have ingredients I either have already at home or that I know I like? Does it let me try something different?
- Romance: Fresh ingredients lovingly combined to make something unexpectedly delicious will melt this girl’s heart. Shake ‘n Bake will get the door slammed in a recipe’s pre-packaged face.
- Endurance: You heard me. I usually cook for one and while seconds are pretty much par for the course in my dining routine, sloppiness is not. If this dish doesn’t bring the flavor day after day, it’s on to the next one.
- Commitment: If a dish passes all of the above, it earns a spot in the regular rotation of Dishes I Will Make for the Rest of My Life. I know you’re wondering at this point exactly how many dishes I try before finding the ones I want to eat forever, and that is none of your business. But I swear it’s not too many.
What about you? What are your recipe must-haves/deal breakers?
Alternate Title: I’m not a foodie, I just munch a lot